My job here is to give you the real world, not the theoretical text book version.
Here are some things to consider when putting together a business plan:
- The more you lie to yourself the more likely you are to fail.
- The business plan is for making good decisions not making good presentations.
- Don't act on your business plan until it has been reviewed by and you've received comments from a successful small business owner. Ignore their recommendations at your own peril.
- Know the numbers inside and out. If you can't recall from memory your sales, costs, working capital requirements, inventory, cash, etc, then you've haven't worked on your plan long enough.
- Your business plan is not a tool to figure out how successful you can be, it's tool to make sure you don't fail.